Thank you so much for visiting my blog! Please be sure to check out my website for more info and like me on Facebook for the most up to date information!


Saturday, November 30, 2013

Thanksgiving Entrees for Vegetarians!!! Woohoo, bring on the protein!

"So what do you eat on Thanksgiving?" I get that question all.the.time. Usually I say "everything you do, but without the turkey/meat." I don't really like most Thanksgiving foods (mashed potatoes and stuffing, cranberry sauce and casseroles).  But I do eat them.  This year I wanted to make something so that I could have protein for dinner as well.  Quinoa is such an amazing food and such a great source of complete protein! 

I adapted a recipe from this blog to make my own (I even stole their picture since I wasn't able to take one of my own) 


Pepper & Corn Quinoa Casserole
Serves 6-8 as a main dish, 10ish as a side

  • 5 C cooked quinoa
  • 4 C corn
  • 1 orange pepper, chopped
  • 1 green pepper, chopped
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 11/2 tsp salt
  •  2 "eggs" made of ground flax seed and water (prepare according to box directions)
  • 2 1/2C grated aged cheddar cheese

If you need to prepare the corn on the cob first, preheat your oven to 425 degrees and peel just the loose outer layers of the husk off the corn, leaving a few layers.  Place on a baking sheet and roast 40 minutes.  Cool enough to handle and cut the corn off the cob. **I used a steam fresh frozen bag of corn which I prepared according to directions on the bag**

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix the water and flax seed to make the 2 "eggs". Lightly grease a large casserole dish or a 9×13 pan.
In a large bowl, combine the quinoa, corn, orange and green pepper, green onions.  Pour the Flax seed "eggs" over rest of the ingredients.  Add 2 cups of grated cheese and mix well.  Pour into the casserole dish, pack down lightly and place in the oven for 35 minutes until lightly golden on top.  Add the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese and return to the oven for 5-7 minutes until melted.  Remove from the oven and cool for just a few minutes before serving.




No comments:

Post a Comment